|Verbena essential oil facts and benefits Quick Facts|
|Name:||Verbena essential oil facts and benefits|
|Origin||It is inherent to Western South America. It was brought by Portuguese and Spanish to Europe during 17th century and it was cultivated for the oil.|
|Colors||Yellowish to green|
|Health benefits||Used in aromatherapy, Reduce anxiety, Reduce fever, Supports digestion, Enhance immunity|
Being native to South America, Verbena plant possesses various medicinal properties and also used as a food additives. It belongs to Verbenaceae family. This plant is used in Argentina and Chile whereas the essential oil is manufactured in China, France, North Africa and Kenya. Verbena is also commonly known as Lemon beebrush, Lemon verbena and Vervain. The yellowish to green essential oil is extracted from the leaves of Verbena plant by steam distillation process. The essential oil is pale yellow in color with fruity to lemon flavor. It could be dispersed in a burner, diffuser or vaporizer for inhalation. It is also used in creams and lotions to treat the skin conditions topically. The addition of few drops to a massage oil helps to provide relief from stress. It is used to treat insomnia, exhaustion, depression and anxiety. Verbena essential oil has the vital chemical components such as limonene, geranial, myrcenene, terpineol, isovalerianic acid, luteolin and apigenin. It possesses anti-spasmodic, antiseptic, digestive, bactericidal, stomachic, sedative and tonic properties.
It is inherent to Western South America. It was brought by Portuguese and Spanish to Europe during 17th century and it was cultivated for the oil.
Health benefits of Verbena essential oil
Verbena is loaded with antioxidants that help to prevent cell damage and eliminate toxins that are harmful for the body. It promotes digestive health and its functions. It is helpful for cramps and indigestion. It also lowers the chances of anxiety, heart palpitations, depression and high stress. It has anti-inflammatory properties that lower the puffiness. The emollient properties found in Lemon Verbena enhance the skin softness. It enhances concentration and stimulates the brain function.
Used in aromatherapy
Add a couple of drops of essential oil to a diffuser. It strengthens focus and opens mind in holding information. It should not be used in an ultrasonic diffuser. It enhances concentration and alertness. It promotes mood.
It provides relief from anxiety and stress. Inhale Verbena essential oil for the maintenance of zest. It restores harmony, calms nerves and balance hormones.
Verbena has medicinal effects that help to lower fever. It promotes sweating that breaks fever and also heals inflammation.
Verbena essential oil provides relief from intestinal spasms and gastric pain. It aids digestion and alleviates indigestion, flatulence, nausea and stomach cramps. It soothes upset tummy and prevent bloating, cramping and turbulence.
Oxidative stress is caused by free radicals that affect immune system and organs. It counteracts illness and cell mutation in the body. It reduces level of oxidative stress and promotes the activity of white blood cells.
It is helpful for the muscles and joint inflammation. Arthritis patients suffer from muscle ache and inflammation. This oil has antioxidant properties that lowers joint pain, improves mobility and speeds up healing process of injuries.
This essential oil assists to heal weak connective tissues, tone muscles and reduce lactic acid. It provides relief from pain and prevent trauma from injuries.
- It is useful for clearing acne, easing digestion, improve digestion, treat hangovers, lower stress, treat depression, frigidity, impotency, lower inflammation, heart palpitations and treat sexually transmitted infections.
- It treats cramps and liver congestion.
- It calms respiratory tracts and nervousness.
- It is a cure for insomnia as well.
- It provides relief from tiredness and apathy.
- It promotes the concentration of brain.
- It is used to tone skin and clean pores.
- It is helpful for greasy hair and acne.
- It is used to smoothen, tighten and rejuvenate skin.
- It increases elasticity of buttocks, thighs, breasts and abdomen.
- It regenerates tissue after contusions, bruises, fractures and sprains.
- It helps to maintain the normal blood pressure.
- It could be used as a vaporization, massage and also added to baths and base emollients.
- Do a patch test before using.
- Consult a doctor by breastfeeding, pregnant and chronic patients.
- Dilute it with carrier oil before use.
- Avoid sun after applying this oil because it could increase sensitivity.
- It is not for an internal use.
It is blended with sandalwood, neroli, rose otto, lavender, patchouli and bergamot.
Verbena essential oil facts
|Name||Verbena essential oil facts and benefits|
|Scientific Name of Verbena plant||Aloysia citrodora|
|Native||It is inherent to Western South America. It was brought by Portuguese and Spanish to Europe during 17th century and it was cultivated for the oil.|
|Common/English Name of Verbena plant||Lemon beebrush, Lemon verbena, Vervain|
|Extraction method||Steam distilled|
|Part of plant used||Leaves|
|Color||Yellowish to green|
|Aroma||Sweet, citrus, floral, lemony|